Tuesday 13 August 2013

25 km Lake Huron Shoreline Swim - August 5th 2013

A successful completion!

Due to rough waters the night before we experienced a delayed start on Monday August 5th; our crew assemble approximately 1 km off shore from Bayfield to start the swim to Goderich at 7:00am.   It was a brisk summer morning, air temperature far below average, and water temperature fluctuating between18-21 degrees Celsius (66 – 69 degrees Fahrenheit).  Throughout the swim I took 12 feeding breaks and had my core temperature read 4 times.  I completed the 25 km solo swim shortly after 2:00 pm, with a recorded time of 7 hours 5 minutes.

I am an advocate of being safe and responsible in and around the water, given the set of circumstances I had in front of me I had to make a responsible decision.  I am happy to say that although we didn’t complete a Lake Huron crossing this summer, no one’s lives were at risk at any point during our shoreline swim.  Our captains and crew gained valuable experience to make our crossing in 2014 that much more successful!
 




 

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic day for all, the crew was so happy to have taken part that they all signed up right after the swim for the 75km crossing next year.

    Well done Team, and great swim Lesley!

    ReplyDelete